Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Getting Started

I’ve had a few people ask me what it took to get started in the fitness world.  And I have to say it hasn’t always been the easiest task.  But now that I’ve gotten into a pattern, it’s a lot easier.  I’ve done a little research, and found some ideas as well.  I hope this will help you all.
1.       Time.  You have to find the time, create the time, and make the time to exercise.  Doesn’t have to be a long time either.  Start with 5 or 10 minutes.  Do some jumping jacks, or pushups, or squats, or hand weights.  Nothing too strenuous.  Just something to get you in the habit of making the time for yourself.  Also, figure out realistically how much time you can give to working out.  Can you find time 7 days and week, and if so, will you really want to work out every day?  Everyone is different.  For me, I try to work out 5 times a week and let my weekends be my rest days.  Find what works for you. 
2.       Find something you enjoy.  I used to go to the gym, but found I lost motivation quickly because I didn’t know exactly what I was doing or should be doing.  I’ve tried some work out videos and yoga videos but didn’t always like doing the same one every day.  Now I am doing Turbo Fire that mixes up my workouts every day.  It’s fun and energetic so I look forward to that time.  If you’re on a budget, crank up some great workout songs and dance around or lift some weights or run in place.  You can have a great workout, even on a budget.   If you need help finding a great program that will work for you, check out this website. http://www.saltlakefitclub.com/.
3.       Make Goals.  You don’t have to make one big goal that says you’re going to lose 50 lbs.  Make smaller goals.  To me, it’s easier to say I’m going to lose 5 or 10 lbs by such and such date.  And I feel so great when I meet those goals.  I know a lot of people set goals that just seem too far out of reach to accomplish and they give up.
4.       Create a support system.  It’s a lot easier to give up when you’re your only support.  Tell people that you’re going to get healthy.  Tell them you’re going to watch what you eat.  Tell them you’re going to lose weight.  It makes it harder for you to give up knowing that other people are watching you. 
5.       Measure and take before and after pictures.  A lot of people rely on the scale to tell them how well or not they are doing.  But the scale is far from accurate.  So, make sure to measure yourself in the beginning of your fitness journey.  I’ve read so many articles of people thinking that they are losing anything because the scale isn’t moving.  But then you see before and after pictures and measurements and you can tell without any doubt that what you’re doing is in fact paying off. 
6.       Last but not least, remember that getting fit is not an overnight adventure.  It probably took you time to get to the weight that you are at now, and it’s going to take time to get it off.  It’s a life change.  You can’t expect to work out once a week and eat like a pig the rest of the time and still lose weight.  Make little changes so it’s not overwhelming.  Reduce your caloric intake, reduce your fat intake.  Just make minor changes until you’re eating habits are healthy and implement those into your daily lives. 
These are just some things that I know were hard for me.  I hope they helped you.  There are so many support groups and people the help you through your weight loss journey.  Together we can “stop the trend of obesity” and make this world a healthier place. 

1 comment:

  1. Great article on getting started and the pain in the butt in can be sometimes! The honesty in how things work versus do not work is very refreshing!
    Keep up the great example!

    ReplyDelete